Between unwrapping presents and making it to seasonal social commitments, it’s easy to miss precious opportunities to bond with your loved ones. This year, make the most out of your time with friends and family by initiating fun holiday activities, like trivia! Bring the Santas and the Scrooges together with these popular holiday trivia questions that’ll break the ice and get the party started.
How to Play Holiday Trivia
Lay down the groundwork for your trivia game to keep things fun and fair. Split party-goers into teams, depending on the size of your celebration. We recommend groups of 2-6 people, preferably of different ages, genders, and families (that way everyone gets to interact with everyone). Make sure every team has a pen and paper (or a dry erase board and marker) to write down their answers.
Remind players of the game’s super simple rules!
- No cell phones or tablets.
- No yelling out answers.
Once the teams are ready, and the rules are set, go ahead and start firing off these holiday questions! The answers are at the bottom (no peeking).
Holiday Trivia Questions About Classic Movies:
- In which town does the Grinch steal Christmas?
- What is Scrooge’s first name in A Christmas Carol?
- What’s the first rule of The Code of Elves’ in Elf?
- Where does Kevin McAlister’s family go on vacation when he’s left Home Alone?
Holiday Trivia Questions About Traditions:
- How many candles are in a Hanukkah Menorah?
- What is another name for Santa Claus?
- What’s the name for the traditional, pointy, red, holiday flowers?
- What are the colors of Kwanzaa?
Holiday Trivia Questions About Food:
- What are candy canes shaped after?
- Which spice is typically used in both apple cider and egg nog?
- Name the root vegetable used to make Latkes.
- What amino acid in turkey is (allegedly) responsible for making people sleepy?
Once the teams have had a chance to write down their answers for all your trivia questions, it’s time to find out who won! Collect all the answer sheets and tally up how many questions each team got right. Make things extra memorable with a prize for the winning team members, like a sweet treat or inexpensive stocking stuffer. If there’s a tie, use the tie-breaker questions in the next section to help you crown the trivia kings and queens.
Holiday Movie Trivia Answers:
- Treat every day like Christmas
Holiday Tradition Trivia Answers:
- St. Nicholas, St Nick, Kris Kringle, or Priznickel
- Red, black, and green
Holiday Food Trivia Answers:
- A shepherd’s staff
Holiday Trivia Tie-Breakers
Time for the speed round! Give each team a new sheet of paper and 20 seconds to come up with the answer to the final question, “Name as many of Santa’s reindeer as you can!” Collect their answer sheets and see who knows Rudolph’s squad by heart! Congrats — you’ve found the jolliest guests at your holiday party! Don’t forget to invite them next year for another round of good times and great memories.
Wrapping Up Holiday Trivia
Tis’ the season to be jolly — but how cool would it be if we could be jolly year-round! From big birthdays to quick coffee outings, there are plenty of things to celebrate every day. Next time you have (or need) something to toast to, grab your loved ones and visit your local Painting with a Twist, we’ve got seasonally-themed paint parties and year-round fun for occasions big and small!