Empowerment stems from feelings of strength and confidence. It’s the initiative you take in owning your happiness, taking charge of your life, and truly knowing what it is that you stand for. Empowerment is something everyone should experience.
In honor of International Women’s Day, use these tips to start taking control of your happiness and begin your journey towards feeling more empowered every dang day!
Prioritize Your Health
Your well-being is the most important: mental, emotional, and physical. By prioritizing all facets of your health, you’ll start to feel strong, capable, empowered, and worthy. Start each day off right with these empowering things:
- Drink water — eight 8 oz glasses per day is recommended.
- Maintain a healthy, nutritious diet.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Put away your phone and disconnect first thing in the morning and before bed.
- Get some fresh air (and hopefully a little sunshine) every day.
- Move your body for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Schedule at least 30 minutes of downtime every day to pamper yourself. No work, no chores, no emails, no obligations.
- Watch your mental health — meditation, therapy, spiritual practice, social media detoxes, etc.
- Find a hobby you love — maybe even try something new! Mastering something that you find interesting is a major confidence boost, not to mention it’s just plain fun!
- Invest in your relationships — having a solid support system of family and friends is essential. But be sure to give as much as you take to allow these benefits to ebb and flow both ways.
Practice Selflessness & Generosity
Take care of yourself so that you can make an impact. A healthy you can do a lot for others! When you are doing something for someone else or become a part of something bigger than yourself, you’ll feel bigger, too.
Remember: empowered women empower women (and men, too). So get out there and make a difference!
Boundaries are healthy. You are not Superwoman — so stop trying to do it all. If you say “yes” to every request and commitment, you’ll run yourself into the ground. There’s no need to feel guilty for saying “no” if you’re feeling overwhelmed or spread too thin.
You’ll have more of yourself to give to the things you do say “yes” to if you choose wisely. Prioritize based on your goals, dreams, and passions, and you’ll feel empowered to put your best foot forward.
Believe in Your Beliefs
It’s important to know what you stand for and what empowers you. Putting both into perspective will ultimately allow you to own and breathe life into what you believe in.
Ask yourself these questions about your own beliefs:
- What issue/topic/organization/movement am I passionate about?
- Why do I feel passionate about that issue/topic/organization/movement?
- How can I learn more about that issue/topic/organization/movement?
- How can I peacefully and confidently defend or promote that issue/topic/organization/movement?
- What do I have to offer that issue/topic/organization/movement?
Go After Your Dreams
You go, girl! What do you want to accomplish this week…this month…this year? Where do you see yourself in five years…10 years? Your goals can be short-term or long-term. They can work toward career development, stronger relationships, stable finances, travel, etc. Whatever they are, a game plan is necessary for achieving your goals. Here’s how to start going after dreams.
- Set realistic goals. Nothing is less empowering than setting yourself up to fail. So, make sure you have the resources you need to succeed.
- Make a plan with a timeline to help you take actionable steps toward your goals.
- Create a vision board that inspires you to dream big and accomplish your goals.
- Find a tribe to support and encourage you, and ask for help when you need it.
- Take those steps!
- Be flexible, grant yourself grace, and re-evaluate your plans when needed.
Set Daily Intentions
Intentions are a little different than goals. Think of intentions as your mantra or wish for the day. For example, your daily intention could be “I will not stress about things outside of my control today,” “I will be present in each moment today,” or “I will embrace the qualities of an empowered woman.” Add this practice into your morning routine to start each day on the right foot.
Foster a Positive Mindset
A positive outlook on life can help you feel more empowered in your corner of the universe — and empower women around you, too. Add these three things to your routine to keep a positive mindset and empower your life:
- Calm your mind with mindfulness activities.
- Practice meditation to center yourself.
- Keep a gratitude journal to focus on what’s going right in your life.
- Strike a power pose. Stand tall in front of a mirror with your feet shoulder-width apart, shoulders back, and hands on your hips. Hold the pose for at least 30 seconds and feel the confidence build.
With daily expectations and harsh comparisons, it can be easy to forget how bold and beautiful you really are. Take the time to cheer yourself on, and eventually, you’ll feel empowered, confident, and strong!
- Take a women’s empowerment course or find a club or organization that offers empowerment tools for women.
- Write yourself an encouraging note and put it on your bathroom mirror, or hang an inspiring piece of art on your bedroom wall as a reminder of your strength.
- Acknowledge your accomplishments and share them with friends and family.
- Treat yourself! When you reach a goal (big or small), reward yourself with a little something you enjoy.
Are you ready to own your narrative and empower yourself for years to come? Get started by creating a memento of what a bold, beautiful, and empowered woman you really are by joining a Diva Painting event at your nearest Painting with a Twist studio.